Monday, April 23, 2012

Personal Reminder..If Not for the Grace of God

Doing a little writing this afternoon and came across this post that was never published.  Felt like today was the day it was intended for. 

We just wrapped up an incredible weekend at our church. (Disciple Now)

To say I am tired is an understatement. At 3:00 Sunday morning I let God know that I do not do late night well and that next year perhaps I should simply be on the prayer team. You think I'm kidding. After a few minutes I finally just quit praying and was still. The girls in our group had finally settled in and I was almost asleep when this passage came to mind.

Isaiah 55:10-12

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
and do not return to it without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.


God is so sweet to speak right when we need it.

Just a few hours later, we sat in a gym and listened to just a few of the testimonies of what God had done in the hearts of our middle and high school students. I needed to hear their stories and I am so thankful our student pastors pulled those students up to share.

My prayer today is that the seeds that were planted this weekend will continue to go deep into the hearts of all those students.

So, where does the grace show up? Well.....

In one of our sessions grace was the topic...but...

God gave me a little lesson in it on Sunday afternoon.

All year God has been dealing with me about holy living, guarding my heart and making sure that I am in proper relationship with Him...we have talked about it here and here.

Philippians 4:8 is my verse for goodness sake! I have been completely immersed in this topic for almost three full months. And I blew it.

In one simple conversation...I blew it.

Before I knew what I had happened...the word that came from mouth was NOT pleasing or acceptable to the Lord. Far from it.

Thankfully, it was with two believers who know me and know this is not my character.

Grace.

This afternoon as I replayed the event in my mind AGAIN. I was so thankful that God is faithful. Faithful to extend grace to me. Thankful he is not stingy...like I am. We all have moments where we need a little grace, but at the same time...

We all have moments where we need to extend a little.

To the person with 25 items in the 10 items or less line. Grace.

To the person who never picks up after their dog! Grace.

To the spouse that overlooks the daily chores. Grace. No, I am not speaking to my husband here.  He goes out of his way to help out around the house! 

To the person, who thinks they are being funny, but hits you in the back of the head with a roll of toilet paper. GRACE.

If I want to be the recipient of grace, I must be willing to extend it.


Today was a day when Lamentations 3:23 came to life.

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;his mercies never come to an end;they are new every morning;great is your faithfulness.

Grace. Mercy. It never ceases to blow my mind. My heart is so thankful for it.

Maybe you needed the reminder that YOU have not traveled too far. God's grace is unending.

His mercies never come to an end.

His love is steady. It is solid and will never cease.

His grace is enough.


As long as you are breathing the grace of God is available.


0 comments: