Friday, February 27, 2009

Psalm 131

1 "O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.

2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

3 O Israel, hope in the Lord
from this time forth and forevermore." (ESV)

A lady I deeply admire and respect shared this Psalm last weekend. I have read it everyday since then. Three very short verses that pack quite a punch.

That first line in verse two is the kicker for me. For whatever reason this week I have found it hard to calm and quiet my soul. My mind seems to be running on high this week. So many thoughts, lists, plans....you understand don't you?

God woke me up EARLY this morning to force me to quiet my soul for a little while. It was sweet. Normally, if I'm up early Chloe joins me. (regardless of the time) Not today. God let her sleep until a little before seven. I sort of feel like I've been to the woodshed. (You know, had a little bit of a talking to.) BUT...

I have calmed and quieted my soul and I can do this thing called life today knowing, believing that He will give me what I need for today.

6 comments:

Still Learning said...

Girl, I feel you. But he will be there for you, He always is.

BethAnne said...

Do I understand??? Unfortunately, I understand all too well....thanks.

Patricia said...

beautifully written.

i had just wrote a blog about "quieting my soul & treating my body as a sacred place".

its good to know that i'm not alone in this...and that we as a "family of believers" can comfort each other, through each others experiences.

thank you for those verses...i have been meditating on them as well :)

i pray that He will continue to quiet your soul with His love.

Heather said...

A calm and quiet soul is definitely what we all need. Thanks for sharing these verses!

Heather C said...

I am so right there with you, girl! I'm so comforted to know that as I come before Him to be still and know that He is God.. in an effort to quiet my soul... He will also quiet me with His love. I'm so glad you got that special time this morning!

Leah Adams said...

Isn't He so faithful to meet us exactly where we are??!! He is so GOOD!!

Leah