Monday, May 10, 2010

Just thinking about Mother's Day

So how was your Mother's Day? My daughters and husband went out of their way all weekend to make me feel special. Chad and the girls surprised me with a dozen roses on Saturday evening. Then, Chad grilled steaks. That was a quite a treat and we had a nice evening. The girls picked out Sunday clothes (we pretty much did that w/out a breakdown. THAT is a Mother's Day Miracle!) and everyone went to bed early. My kind of evening.

Sunday morning my sweet people surprised me with a few fun cards, a new coffee cup AND a new canister to hold my coffee beans. I LOVE it. Chad and I had nursery duty during the Worship hour, so we left our Connections class and headed over to play, rock and love on a classroom full of 12 month - 15 month olds. They were precious and adorable and SO sweet. However,

I had a first. I have NEVER been bitten by a baby. EVER. Until yesterday. :) One little sister tried to take my thumb home. And yes, I have the bruise/bite mark to prove it! I forgave her, how could I not forgive that pretty little thing in a pink smocked dress.

We enjoyed our favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch. But listening to the couple behind us I was reminded that Mother's Day/Father's Day isn't always a happy day.

I'm blessed to have a godly mother and lots of good memories of my childhood. My parents are not perfect, but they love Jesus. They have always been consistent in their love and service to Him. I am blessed and my children are blessed to have godly grandparents. But I know some of you can't say that and I am so sorry. I've been with friends in the card aisle as they pour over cards that are so far from what they feel. I've stood and watched them nervously laugh at how sappy and sentimental some of those cards are. I've been speechless as they have said "How do you find a card that says thanks for having me because that's about all you did for me". Speechless. It's hard. I'm so sorry. The only thing I can say is that you do have a Heavenly Father who loves you dearly. You are precious to Him.

Psalm 27:10 says that "Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me."

It's hard when your deepest longing is to have a child and for whatever reason it just isn't happening. I've been there and know this one first hand. It's hard to watch what seems like everyone around you having babies and wonder why you can't stay pregnant. The two years before Chloe was born were the hardest Mother's Day Sunday's of my life. I know what it's like to sit in church and hear nothing that is said because you are trying to hold it together. It was during those moments Psalm 56:8-9 were comforting. Here it is in the King James Version. (I like the way verse 8 reads is why I used this particular translation.)

Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book? When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.

My prayer is that days like Mother's Day and Father's Day are celebrations in your life. If they aren't, I'm asking God to remind you today that He has not forgot you. He Knows. And He is for you.

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

What a precious post!! How tender your heart is toward those who are not able to have children. I cannot even imagine how that feels, but I know our Lord understands.

have a blessed week.

Leah

Cindy said...

This is a beautiful Mother's Day post! It is easy to forget that it might not be a happy occasion for some. Thank you for the reminder.

Cindy