Thursday, May 6, 2010

Lessons from Little Girls

As a mom, one of the most humbling times in my life was when one of my daughters reminded me of a scripture passage we had discussed. It had something to do with Phil. 4:8 that says

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

This particular daughter has no idea the impact she had on me. She was singing the above scripture as she played quietly in her room. I was headed to watch my favorite daytime program when the Holy Spirit began to tug on my heart. What I was fixing to watch didn't quite match up with Phil. 4:8. Conviction. I am SO strict on what our children see and don't see, but yet I wasn't being careful to guard my own heart.

God used my daughter's sweet little voice to speak to me. Humbling.

I heard a well known daytime talk show host share a similar story today. I watched this young woman share how her 5 year old daughter reminded her that sometimes, you just need to say "I'm sorry." I was completely unaware of the comments she had made earlier in the week about another celebrity's costume choices on a reality dance show. Honestly, those comments were not what caught my attention.

What caught my attention was that she quoted this verse from Proverbs 12:18a

Reckless words pierce like a sword

While she didn't say "the Bible says...." it was very clear that the Holy Spirit used her little girl to prompt her apology to the person she had hurt. It took some serious strength to make that phone call, but then she turned around and apologized on national television. (Since that was where the offense took place.)

I have to say that I am SO proud of her for owning it, and for handling it the way God said to. Regardless of what happens to her career, she made the choice to do what God said and I believe He is pleased with her.

The last part of Proverbs 12:18 says

but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

God used E. to remind me that as Proverbs 13:10 says

Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.


She wasn't to proud to take some advice from a five year old. She wasn't too proud to apologize. That is a wise young woman.

Sometimes a little child will lead us. I guess the question is are we too proud to listen when they speak truth to us?

3 comments:

Heather said...

WOW- this is so good and so applicable to me. Thanks, Steph. You always have a way with words!!! I love how I hear the Lord speak through you so much of the time!

Cindy said...

Some of the most profound lessons come from little ones. I think it is so precious that she was singing Scripture.

Cindy

Leah Adams said...

I fear that I have uttered reckless words so often and not even realized it. Lord, help me!!

Leah