Thursday, June 26, 2008

Can I share a little of my daily bread?

I got home Tuesday evening and collapsed into my little leather chair. No T.V., no computer, no music playing in the background. It was completely quiet. I didn't stay there for long, I had things to do.

On my way home from Chattanooga, I decided that I would do all of my housework and extra laundry Tuesday evening and Wednesday so that I could "play" on Thursday and Friday. So that is what I did. :) I had most everything done by lunchtime Wednesday and settled into that same little chair to spend some time with the Lord.

It was a very sweet time and I love how He orchestrated my reading time to give me just what I would need a little later in the day when life would throw our family a curve ball. It made me ask myself once again, why do I even try to do life without Him? He gave me what I needed for yesterday BEFORE I even knew I would need it.

This morning as I think back over yesterday and all that happened, I am just in awe of His timing. But, I'm asking Him to do it again today...give me that loaf of bread that is baked for today.

And He has. When I start thinking about the situation, I find myself jumping off of the path of concern onto the path of worry. Here is part of what I read this morning.

Matthew 6:25 "Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?"

You know this passage I'm sure. It is all so comforting. But the following verses really settled on my heart this morning.

Matthew 6:31-33 "So do not worry saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink' or 'What shall we wear' for the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

Your heavenly Father knows that you need them. I'm not sure I will ever get over the feeling of love that I feel when I read that. He knows exactly what I need this very minute, next week and next year. Nothing is a surprise to Him. THAT comforts me more than anything.

5 comments:

BethAnne said...

""It made me ask myself once again, why do I even try to do life without Him?""

If I had a dollar for every time I have asked myself that question, I would be wealthy! The problem is that I keep forgetting that He is always faithful and over and over I go out on my pitiful own path......you would think I would learn!

Still Learning said...

Hi Ocean Mommy, I decided to visit your blog as you have been an encouragement to me. I am sorry you have had a rough time yesterday/today but isn't it wonderful when God gives you a little treat & takes you to a place in His word to lift you back up? I read that passage often because Lord knows I need to. It is very comforting & something I cling to. Hope things get better soon!

Love ya!
Jenn

jenmom said...

He always gives us what we need exactly when we need it! I have experienced that today in God allowing my path to cross someone else's that can speak godly wisdom that I need so much in an area of my life right now.
And to top it all off, my devotional time over the past 4 days has had me in Habbakuk learning the proper response to difficulty and suffering, studying the next day in Isaiah 40 about a God who has unfathomable understanding and Psalm 33 about a God who is intimately acquainted with me, and today about God's omnipresence and name of El Roi - the God who Sees me!!!!!!!
Can I shout Hallejuah?

Fran said...

I am with Bethanne..."why do I even try to do life without Him?"

What a precious reminder of just how tender and loving He is.

I've thought about you so much this week. Praying for you girl.

Hugs,
Fran

Heather said...

HE KNOWS WHAT WE NEED! Praise you, Lord, for this perfect provision. Remind us constantly of this!