Thursday, June 19, 2008

New

Emma has reminded us all week that summer officially beings on Thursday, June 20. This morning she announced that it was the first day of summer 2008.

A new season. Over the last couple of weeks we have fallen into a NEW routine, a routine that is specific to this time of year. It will change again come September and we will once again adjust to a NEW schedule. Seems like NEW is always just around the corner.

Sunday morning I read Psalm 33:1-3 before we left for church. (I read these verses anytime I play or sing, they keep me focused on the reason I'm playing or singing.)
Any Christian musician can usually quote the last part of verse 3 "play skillfully and shout for joy." Usually, I turn that part of the verse into my prayer before I play or sing, but not Sunday.

Sunday, God once again had me settle on the first part of the verse. He did the same thing back in May before I led worship at Live, Love, Laugh. Obviously there was a point He wanted to drive a little deeper.

Verse 3 says "Sing to him a new song, play skillfully and shout for joy."

Sing to him a NEW song. Hmmmmmmmm. I jumped over to Psalm 40 and read verse 3 there as well..."He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God."

Then this morning I read Isaiah 42. You know what is on down in verses 9-10?
Yes mam, verse 9 says "see the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you." Verse 10 says "Sing to the Lord a NEW SONG, his praise from the ends of the earth."

This whole New Thing, New Song theme continues to run in my heart and mind. Of course I can't talk about "new" without mentioning Isaiah 43:18-19a "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing!"

Here is what my heart feels this morning. This could change, but for right now this is what God is impressing on me.

He is never done with us. We should rejoice constantly in our salvation. We should praise Him for delivering us from the junk of our past and never forget just what, who and where we were when He saved us. BUT....

All too often we stop there. Sure many of us continue to serve the Lord and be involved in lots of activity, but we honestly don't spend enough time with Him to have a new song to give Him.

I don't know about you but I want a new song this summer, but not just any song. It's the deepest desire of my heart to sing the song He is composing for me.

So I'll ask you this morning what God has asked me. Do you really want to sing a new song in this new season? Are you willing to spend the time it may take to hear it?

Let's not fall for the trap the enemy sets and become so involved with activity this summer that we forget that God has something NEW in mind just for us. Our God is so worthy of a NEW SONG....

Rev. 5:9 tells us why!
"And they sang a new song: YOU are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God...."

4 comments:

BethAnne said...

Oh the captivity of activity! Sometimes service steals our song, doesnt it? I cant tell you how busy we have been lately. I am in the business of busy-ness it seems. I really needed to hear this, my friend.

LAURIE said...

Great post! Each day is a NEW day and I choose to rejoice in it! No matter how busy we get or how our schedules change we must remember to ask God HOW instead of WHY. How can I give You Glory in this new day? Thanks for sharing from your heart today. -Blessings, Laurie

Jenifer said...

Rejoice in the day! I've been meaning to stop by and let you know that I got my CD. Thanks!! LOVE IT!!!

Blessings,
Jenifer

God's girl said...

Girl, this spoke to me in a wonderful way! I am in a new season too. I needed to hear this.
Much love,
ANg