Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rejection thoughts...

Like many of you, I'm doing the Esther study right now. I'm in week two and loving it. I finished week one right as I was packing and leaving for the retreat last weekend. One thing from week one that really stuck out in my mind was how fast King Headache (Xerxes) was to dismiss Queen Vashti from his life. Just did away with her...she didn't do what he asked and was done with her.

Rejected. This beautiful woman was just dismissed, done away with. I wondered what happened to her. Where did she go? Did they execute her, or allow her to return to her family? Did she leave that mansion and hide the rest of her life?

If we girls were really honest with each other, we all know that sting of rejection. Dismissal. The "I'm done with you and moving on" feelings. Whether those wounds are given by a boyfriend, a spouse, or one of your good girl friends, it hurts.

While the word "reject" was not the focus of last weekend's retreat, I heard several ladies touch on it. Some had just lost their jobs and even though it was all based on the economy, it was still rejection. It still hurt. Other's were more private matters that were not completely voiced out loud, but you could see in those beautiful eyes that rejection was at the heart of the matter.

Since I have been home, I have received a few e-mails from women going through some sort of rejection. Everything from family circumstances to work or ministry related rejection. Let me say something.. even when it feels like you have been dropped off on a street corner and those closest to you (the ones you should be able to trust the most) have forgotten to come back for you...GOD CARES. HE IS STILL THERE. HE HAS NOT LEFT YOU. It's against His nature remember He said "I will never leave you or forsake you!" You are not forgotten.

I can't help but think of Psalm 27 especially verses 7-10. Verse 10 says.. "For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in." (ESV)

Do you need to personalize that for you today..maybe "My employer has replaced me, let me go, but the Lord will take me in." or "I wasn't chosen to be part of that ministry team...but God will take me in!" "My husband has left, but my Lord will take me in."

Oh sweet friends, don't allow that hurt and disappointment to make you bitter! All that does is fuel the enemy. You take that hurt right to the One who knows you better than anyone. TELL HIM you are hurt, disappointed and need his comfort. Let Him be the lifter of your head. Be still and quiet enough to hear Him sing over you. It may be the hardest thing you do today, but it will be the BEST thing you do.


I love Psalm 91:11-16. Verses 14-16 say the following

"Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him. I will protect him because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation."

Now...if you are feeling like you need to hear from HIM...replace each he or him with your name and read it again...OUT LOUD.

God will be with YOU in trouble. In pain, in rejection, in loss. He is there.

Let Him satisfy you today. I promise if you let Him, He will.

8 comments:

Haley said...

I needed to hear that today for many reasons. Thank you! I'm starting Esther in February with Amy P facilitating so don't you start giving away all the studies! You know I'm kidding! It's getting me excited about starting!

Melinda said...

Sending this to my daughter who has been rejected by her best friend. A wonderful, timely word, friend!

Can't wait to hug your neck,
Melinda

Heather C said...

Amen! Now you've got me singing: "Great is Thy faithfulness, Oh God my Father... There is no shadow of turning with Thee! Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not. As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be!" Hallelujah!

Geneva said...

Hey Stephanie. We met in Linden last weekend. I found your blog address from your e-mail. I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your music. And when I started my new prayer journal right after I wrote my name in it, I wrote "Speak to me". And He has, and He will continue to do so!!! Thanks so much, and your blog is great, very encouraging, and beautiful little girls.

Geneva

Stacey said...

A word in season...thanks, Stephanie.

God's girl said...

Thanks for posting that girl. Yes the sting of rejection is so close to my heart. That study sounds so good!

Cannot wait to see you Sunday!
Much love,
Ang

Carol said...

How funny that we both wrote about this the same day!

Anonymous said...

Loved your post about Rejection. I was so in need of a post like this I googled it and yours came up. Thank you for reminding me of Jesus' love for us even when we feel rejected and worthless.