Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Where to start

My mind is spinning. I got home around 11:30 last night and attempted to go to bed but I could not slow my mind down enough! This conference has totally changed my perception on giving, on missions, on how I do life.

There is so much to process and pray about and I'm not quite ready to share all those things yet. There is one thought from the Sunday sessions that have continued to challenge, or better said, stepped all over my toes. It has been an area that I have struggled with for as long as I can remember.

F.E.A.R.

It is quite a stronghold in my life, and while God and I have made progress, it is an area that I continue to feel struggle in. So here is the statement that was made in my face Sunday.

Quit asking God to take away your fear. Start asking Him for courage.

I was then challenged to imagine just what would happen if I stopped living in the land of fear and what if's and got some godly courage and boldness.

(On a sidenote, after I got home last night I decided to check e-mail and wound up reading Fran's blog and guess what her post is about...Fear. She pretty much asked word for word the same question..what would happen if you didn't live in fear. Yes Lord I see the neon arrow on that part of my life.)

When we left Sunday, I honestly thought that I had received what God wanted me to hear and that everything else would be gravy. (Hopefully Boomama's choc. gravy!)

Wrong. Monday and Tuesday evening gave me one of those headaches you get when you are slapped in the face with Truth and it is almost too much to take in. God says "open your mouth and I will fill it with good things." I feel like I was choking trying to digest SO much good stuff so fast. Oh it was good.

I'm still not quite sure what specifically to share here so until that time, I'm just going to say that the last 3 days have been life changing.

Okay, it's time to start school! Have a wonderful day!

15 comments:

BethAnne said...

"Quit asking God to take away your fear. Start asking Him for courage"--I love that....cant wait to hear more....I need to hear more

Three Fold Cord said...

I always feel so encouraged by what you say. It is straight from your heart and I love hearing what God is speaking. I just sense that the Lord wants you to know He is pleased with you and it is a commendation from Him that He is speaking to you about this area of your heart. It means that He knows you are ready to hear it and willing to work through it with Him.

Now off to finish lunch and do some school with my little one too!

Dionna said...

I can't wait to hear more. I think so many of us battle fear - we live in a society that gives us so many thinks to think about fearing. And yet, God tells us that He never gave us that spirit of fear. So who is it from then?
It would be great if we could all start overcoming this tactic of Satan's and give HIM something to fear from us!

Lora said...

Fear has been a struggle of mine too, Stephanie. I remember Mama Beth saying several things about fear:
*Ask to take from His supply of courage.
*What would I consider doing for the cause of Christ if I weren't afraid? Pull fear out of it and consider doing it.
*If you are afraid, repent of your unbelief and ask God to deliver you. If you are still scared, do it scared. Don't wait until every fear is gone - believe Him!

Walking it out with Him today, one step at a time. Hugs across the miles.

Fran said...

WOW! How crazy that God is up to something so smack dab in your face?! He's dealing with both of us girl.

Praying for that courage.

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline."

Love,
me

Emily said...

"Quit asking God to take away your fear. Start asking Him for courage."

Wow Stephanie, what a great statement! That is good...praying that God will continue to work these truths you learned into your daily life!

I just now saw the comment you left on the homeschool blog, thankyou so much:) You are a blessing! I am already seeing God do awesome things in my family on this first "official" week of school. I love this!!! My boys are really struggling(to say it nicely!) with seeing Mom as Teacher, but...we are doing it and loving it! Thanks for your prayers and encouragement.

Rachel said...

this is such a great word. I love/fear (lol) when good gives me soooo much at one time I feel like I'm drinking out of a firehose. Girl, take that good time to meditate and really sow the word He's given you - you're going to reap that 100 fold harvest!

connorcolesmom said...

So true sweet friend!
I lived so much of my life in fear - fear of failure, fear of the spotlight, fear of anything really
But God has delivered me from it He truly is amazing!
Love you
Kim

Heather C said...

Wow... what an amazing way to sum it up, huh? "Start asking Him for courage..." Kind of takes it from being a passive thing to having a more active perspective. When He grants courage, He's asking me to move forward, not to stay stagnant. Great thoughts! Can't wait to hear what all the Lord spoke to your heart!

Runner Girl said...

Asking God for courage is a bold move that will surely be a bumpy but fascinating and life altering ride. Grace and Peace as you seek to grow and overcome!

Haley said...

I can't really say that I relate so much with the "fear", but I loved the "Quit asking God to take away your fear. Start asking for courage." It made me think of some of my stongholds and how I need to pray for strength to overcome them, not for Him to make them go away...Thank you for being so tranparent with us!

Haley said...

After I commented I remembered a quote. You have probably heard it before, but I thought I would share!

"Don't ask God to move mountains. Pray for stength and courage to climb them."-unknown

Heather said...

I have REALLY been battling with fear the last few months. Mainly about the baby...but also just regular life stuff that I used to not fear. I love the idea of asking God for courage instead. Thanks, Steph! I am praying for you!

Still Learning said...

Fran posted this scripture:
2 Timothy 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline."
My pastor preached on this very thing this past Sunday. I had a post about it on my blog Monday becuase it was awesome!! His King James translation had it this way though. Instead of timidity his said FEAR and instead of self-discipline his said SOUND MIND. Oh, boy. Did I ever straighten up in my seat when he read this scripture with his King James translation. We all have some fear to battle but there was something wonderful about this scripture... God says he gives us power and love and a sound mind. Somehow fear takes that from us. We all need to embrace more the power God has already given us and use it. I like what somebody else said, let the devil run screaming instead. Praying for you girl...

Christina said...

Can't wait to hear more about this. I believe we all struggle with fear at one time or another. It is a hard one to struggle with.