Thursday, April 24, 2008

Haggai and Habakkuk

I had the coolest time with God this early this morning. AND I MEAN EARLY!!! We're talking 1:30AM. I could not go to sleep for anything, I guess I was still bummed that Carly went home on American Idol last night. At this point, I'm going to be bummed every week. I have grown to love each one of those kids in a different way..

Anyway..back to 1:30. I could tell this was going to be a LONG night. Normally, I can pull an all nighter and survive but last night I was exhausted. I flipped the light back on and reached for the book I'm reading, when I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me toward my Bible instead.

I'm going to be totally honest here, I was reaching for my other book because I knew it would help me go to sleep. I really didn't want the guilt of falling asleep reading God's Word. But I grabbed it and said.."Okay God show me what to read..." and I'm not kidding you my next thought was Haggai. HAGGAI! Who in the world picks up their Bible at 1:30 in the morning to read Haggai. Psalms, Proverbs, John....but Haggai?

I read it. The whole thing..impressed? You shouldn't be, it's just two chapters!

So I'm reading it but I was just not seeing what I was supposed to see. I asked God to settle my attention on the verses He wanted me to soak in. It was chapter 2 verse 19

"I am giving you a promise now while the seed is still in the barn, before you have harvested your grain and before the grapevine, the fig tree, the pomegranate and the olive tree have produced their crops. From this day onward I will bless you." (New Living Translation)

That was what He was giving me. You see I have been pouring my heart out over several situations that are very close to my heart. Situations that are in need of God's provision, His need, His touch. I KNOW that He hears. I know that He cares. I believe with all my heart He will provide what each situation needs.

Yesterday morning I asked Him to give me some sort of confirmation that I was even praying in the right way! I'm telling you, I have been so consumed by this thing, I needed to know He was hearing me! He did that two times yesterday. Once while I had coffee with my dear friend after choir, and then later..in the wee hours of the morning through His word. (Hmmmmm, maybe the coffee was why I was awake?)

I have to say, for as little sleep as I got last night, I have felt great today. Thank you Lord.

So where in the world does Habakkuk come into play? Well....

This morning as I was turning to do my reading, my Bible just kind of flopped open, and I do mean flop, to Habakkuk. I laughed and said, "Okay God, Haggai last night, Habakkuk this morning...you're funny." Then it caught my eye.

I had this written next to the verse 3:17-19 verses..."Nov.17, 2004 God brought me to this two times this morning on two different broadcasts on WMBW (Moody radio in Chatt) Isn't He faithful!"

I was intrigued so I started at the beginning of chapter three. The first couple of verses stuck out, but when I got to 17 this is what I read...

" Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation. The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He will make me as surefooted as a deer and bring me safely over the mountains."

I have never thought so much about figs, pomegranates, grapes and barren fields! But I have thought a lot about these situations, and I have felt like each one was fruitless in it's own way...

God showed me this morning that He is in control. Even though I don't see much fruit right now, and the harvest is looking pretty slim, I can trust Him. I am choosing to praise Him today for what He is going to do in each situation that has burdened my heart.

To quote Esther Burroughs, "God knew from the foundation of time that this was going to happen. This is no surprise to Him." He knows exactly how this plays out. I know that I can trust Him. We have a pretty cool history and one day, all of this will be part of it. He was Lord over that and He is Lord over today....He can handle whatever comes next.

Psalm 81: 6-7
"Now I will relieve your shoulder of its burden; I will free your hands from their heavy tasks. You cried to me in trouble, and I saved you." (NLT)

Psalm 92:4
"You thrill me Lord, with all you have done for me! I sing for joy because of what you have done."

10 comments:

Alyce said...

Hi Stephanie
I am just dropping a line..I have found you through some blog, although I can't remember which. I noticed you are in GA and I am guessing you have a daughter named Chloe??? Well, I love GA and I have a daughter named Chloe too.
I'll bookmark ya and visit again..
Blessings~
Alyce

Fran said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! Talk about a direct Word from the Father!! I love it Stephanie! I know you probably just wanted to cry. I know your heart has been turned to things going on in life and you have been so faithful to give every bit of it over to Him....

and low and behold....He blessed you in a BIG way....at 1:30 in the morning.

Sweet, sweet Jesus!

Tamara said...

It's so interesting how God uses His Word to minister to us right where we are. He is, indeed, faithful! He used your post to bless and encourage me in an issue I'm facing, and I'm about to send a friend to your blog because I believe this speaks to something she's facing, as well.

Cheri said...

Oh girl, God told me the same thing just the other day. He would make my feet steady and able to climb the mountain to the other side!

This is confirmation for me! I understand!

I am sooo glad you wrote this!

Sherry said...

Hello, Stephanie:
Great post! God's timing is so incredible! Isn't He just awesome?

I have seen your comments on various blogs and then today at Sarah's at "Life in the Parsonage". I "met" her when she left a comment on my blog because of the name: "Life at the Parsonage". Close, huh?

I am very new to blogging and just love the inspiration that comes from sites like yours. Thanks!

Keep listening to the Father's voice. His Word is TRUTH!

Sherry
Lifeattheparsonage.blogspot.com

BethAnne said...

I am with ya on Haggai and Habakuk - our Sunday school class studied both books recently (well within the past year and a half) and they are full of truths for our everyday lives - who knew? hahahahaha

BethAnne said...

I am with ya on Haggai and Habakuk - our Sunday school class studied both books recently (well within the past year and a half) and they are full of truths for our everyday lives - who knew? hahahahaha

Darla said...

Isn't HE wonderful???? I love my early early mornings with HIM...and I love that HE would wake me to spend time with HIM...Love you Princess, you totally rock!

Jenifer said...

Mmmmm, mmmmm. Awesome word! I love it when God speaks so plainly. Thanks for sharing this. I'm in the midst of something right now, and needed to hear this word.

Thank you friend,
Jenifer

Carol said...

I love it when God does stuff like that. :)