Monday, April 14, 2008

This Momma Just Needs to Share

Sometimes our children just put it all into perspective for us.

Chloe has always had a soft spot and a generous heart, but let's be honest...she's nine (almost 10) and sometimes a girl would just rather spend her money on shoes or the latest Hannah CD.

Today she received the latest copy of the Samaritan's Purse newsletter. It came as I was fixing lunch and the girls were having "recess". I saw her intense eyes as she read it cover to cover.

I called them to lunch, they ate and she was quiet. (Which should have been my first sign something was up.) After lunch, Emma headed upstairs for her reading time and Chloe went up to finish up her math and language arts. I....

I began to pick up a few things and just straighten up. The Samaritan Purse newsletter and donation envelope was on our coffee table. I just added it to the trash pile and went on with my chores.

In a few minutes, Chloe came down to tell me that she was done with math. Before she could get that out she stopped and said..."Mom, where is my newsletter?" I told her I thought she was done with it and I threw it away..I apologized and she went upstairs.

I was so occupied with my chores that I didn't realize she was crying in her room.

Chloe came down a little later and pulled that newsletter out of the trash. I found her at the kitchen desk reading every word again. She was mesmerized by this newsletter.

I asked her if she needed the envelopes and she said.."I need it all, please."

My heart still did not seeing what was going on.

Just now, I walked into the kitchen and looked over at the desk. There is a sealed envelope sitting there waiting to be mailed. The return address is ours, it is addressed to The Samaritan's Purse and let me tell you.....

That little thing has stuffed it full of her hard earned allowance, birthday money from last August, Christmas money and tooth fairy money. I honestly have no idea how much money she put in there.

I just asked her what it was and her comment was "I just needed to do it." She was being obedient big time. A couple of you have posted on Then Sings my Soul Saturday the song "Little is Much", those lyrics ran through my mind when I saw her face as she told me "I just needed to do it."

You see, she didn't care what anyone else thought about her gift. She just knew it was what God told her to do. She did it without reservation. She was completely abandoned to her God and what He called her to do today.

I wonder...what has God asked you to do today? Do you think your gift isn't large enough to be used? Can I let you in on a little secret? ........

There are no little gifts with God.

This is the God who spoke and created our earth!

This is the God who took just a few fish and a couple of loaves of bread and fed thousands... THOUSANDS.

This is our God. He deserves our obedience...

10 comments:

Darlene R. said...

I have one like that. She is so giving. Chloe seems like a beautiful little girl.

Fran said...

Oh Stephanie!!! I'm speechless. I'm teary-eyed. I'm thrilled for that precious child of yours. I'm just wanting everyone to read this post right now.....God is all about the obedience isn't He??!! He's gonna bless the fire out of Samaritans Purse in ways we won't ever know....all because this precious angel knew what she had to do!!

Oh, please give her a hug from me.
Tell her how proud I am of her.
I hope my heart can be so unselfish and giving every single day. This girl is figuring it out early.

Blessings Momma! You've got one amazing family.

Leah Adams said...

WOW!! My heart is moved. You have done a magnificent job teaching those girls to hear and obey the voice of the Lord. Now, if we, adults, would be so obedient.

Leah

Carol said...

I can't stop crying. I mean my body is shaking. First, I have missed stopping by, I've been SO busy! Second, Steph, the reason your precious baby girl has given her all to Jesus is because she was watched her mother do the same thing. She has learned to love God and now is reaching out in her own obedience to Him. I know you are so proud. You have done such a great job with your girls!

Jenifer said...

That is so awesome! Tears of joy stream from my eyes. What an example she is! What a beautiful heart she has!

God is going to use her in mighty ways!

Blessings, Jenifer

Cheri said...

Okay, through sobs of total joy to our Father in Heaven- how can ANYTHING possibly get more precious than that.

I can imagine the way your heart is feeling right now. Way to go Mom- and way to go Chloe!!

Thank you Jesus, for people who obey!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Absolutely beautiful. An example we should all follow - what a humble heart for God!

(came via small scribbles)

Kate said...

Thanks, Chloe, for the reminder to give cheerfully, to give abundantly, to give from the heart. Us adults, (this one especially as of late) can use a good reminder like this once in awhile.

Love,
Miss Kate

Anonymous said...

This blessed me. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Kelli

DeAnna said...

Little is much, Steph. Little is much!!! Praise God for a little girl with such a big heart to be obedient to her Lord.