Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Out of the Mouth

Do you ever find yourself reading a passage of scripture you've read numerous times and suddenly it comes alive? That's what happened to me yesterday and today. I was reading Matthew 15:1-20 yesterday during my study time when God started to speak to my heart. This morning, I was drawn back to that passage, except I read it in my NIV. It just jumped off of the page and was alive to me.

Starting in verse 16 Jesus is explaining the parable to the disciples. ( I cracked up in verse 16 where Jesus says "Are you still so dull?!!" Wouldn't you love to have seen His face when He said that?) Pretty much Jesus is saying to them, whatever comes out of your mouth,is an indication of what is in your heart. So, whatever we put in will come out. The things we listen to, read, glance at, all go to the heart and will eventually come out. It's why we are so picky about the things we allow our girls to listen to, watch and read. We get one shot at raising up a child in the way they should go, I don't want to knowingly do anything that would cause them to stumble later!

For sometime now, I've been watching a few women. Women who are older than me physically and spiritually. My heart is burdened for women to experience God in everyday life and so I have been quietly listening and watching these women to see how they react to life.

One is my age and lost her husband last fall in an accident. We sing in choir together but I do not have a close relationship with her. However, I watch her each week give a sacrifice of praise. She chooses to worship God even though the world would say to turn and run. She rejoices that her husband is with Jesus and that one day she will be too. Her heart is full of hope, trust and faith in our Lord. HE radiates off of her face, it's contagious! Out of her mouth comes praise, love, hope!

Another is also a widow, a little older. She isn't too sure about change of any kind. Her face is harsh, cold, unwelcoming. The few times I've had conversation with her, I leave exhausted! She worries about everything. Her heart is filled with worry, fear and it is contagious. Out of her mouth comes criticism, insults and fear.

Then I'm faced with a lady who has been divorced a few times. She is now in her longest marriage thus far, but truth be told she's not happy. The children are grown and married, she has her job and her spouse. There isn't much for her to say to anyone. She doesn't understand happiness and it would seem to an onlooker that she likes for trouble to visit others. It gives her someone else to compare herself too. Her heart is filled with hurt, bitterness, and unforgiveness. It is contagious. Out of her mouth comes bitterness, harsh accusing words, fear and worry.

All three women are Christians. Only one is living dependant on Jesus. Only one has godly things coming out of her mouth. Life is hard, each one of these women have been hurt and experienced great loss. Much like each of us. But only one is walking so close to the Lord that she is radiating HIM! Her mouth pours out LIFE to all who are around her! The other two, well it isn't life that is poured out! When I leave their presence, I'm exhausted and you know what else? I find myself being negative.

When I read from Matthew this morning, I thought of these women. Then I thought of my own heart. What is it filled with? What would others say it was filled with? I want to sit so close to the feet of Jesus that He radiates off of my face. Ladies, we have to fill up on the Lord every day in order for His character to become our character.

Proverbs 15:4 says "The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit." If we want to use healing words, then we better be going to the Word and filling up on that.

The older we get, the more our real self comes out. Examine yourself today and ask God to show you what your heart is filled with.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Thansk, Steph; this is very insightful and causes me to ponder what's been coming out of my mouth lately....My desire is to speak life and the love of Christ all around...but you reminded me again my heart must be filled with that first! Thanks!

I love you and yours!
I've got your back!
Amy

Kate said...

The older we get, the more our real self comes out.

I've been thinking about this line all day.

I know some people who ended their lives in a grumpy way and I'm scared to death that will be me. Guess I'll need to concentrate on the rest of your post to prevent that from happening.

Kate

Diann McDuffie said...

That is so true! I believe there are so many Christians that don't experience real abundant life that the first woman you talked about has. They are Christians, go to church, but missing the boat. I love your heart in this post because you speak life!

Lindsay said...

I think that you hit the nail on the head. We are constantly teaching the girls garbage in garbage out. We want to teach them to live their best life through Christ,because we only get one shot to make our own history. (Hmmm maybe that will be my next blog title.) :-)

Meg said...

Yes...so true. I want to radiate Him. Thanks for sharing. Love, Meg